APPLICATIONS DUE FRIDAY, APRIL 24, 2020
Sandlapper Singers invites applications for the 2020-2021 Katie Quackenbush Scholarship. High-school students, currently enrolled in grades 10-11, with a demonstrated commitment to excellence in the vocal arts are encouraged to apply. The scholarship recipient will be awarded a $500 cash prize for assistance with private vocal studies, as well as the opportunity to rehearse and perform with the Sandlapper Singers during the 2020-2021 concert season.
- Applicants must be currently enrolled in high school, grades 10-11, or an equivalent home-school program.
- Applicants should reside and/or attend high school in Richland County or a contiguous county (i.e. Lexington, Newberry, Fairfield, Kershaw, Sumter or Calhoun).
- Prior private vocal study is not required, but any financial award must be used to that end.
- The scholarship recipient will perform as guest soloist on one of the choir’s 2020-2021 concerts.
- The winner will be eligible to rehearse and perform with the Sandlapper Singers throughout the 2020-2021 season.
- The $500 cash prize will be held in trust for the scholarship recipient and paid directly to the vocal instructor or school of the student’s choice.
- Download and complete the application form.
- Write a brief statement (250 words or less) outlining your experience and achievements in the vocal arts, as well as your goals and intentions for future study.
- Ask a current choral teacher or vocal instructor to complete and submit a recommendation form. These forms should be sent directly to the email or mailing address below.
- All application materials must be postmarked or delivered via email by Friday, April 24, 2020.
- Applications may be submitted by mail to Sandlapper Singers, P.O. Box 50261, Columbia SC 29250 or by email to email@example.com.
- Qualified applicants will be notified by Tuesday, April 28 and invited to audition on Tuesday, May 12 (4:00pm – 7:00pm) at Eastminster Presbyterian Church (3200 Trenholm Road, Columbia).
- Finalists should prepare two selections of music contrasting in style and tempo. The repertoire may be accompanied or unaccompanied. If accompaniment is needed, please bring an original copy of each accompanied score for the pianist.
Contact Emily Brown, Executive Director, at (803) 220-1952 or firstname.lastname@example.org.